Use Social Plastic
Through Plastic Bank, the local population in developing nations can return collected plastic waste and exchange it for money, goods, or services. This material, called Social Plastic, is then integrated back into the plastic value chain.
Over 6 million Haitians live below the poverty line on less than US$2.41 per day, by rivers and coastlines filled with plastic.Source
- Reduces the need for virgin materials by giving plastic waste a second life
- Creates jobs paid above the market rate in developing communities
- 'Social plastic' is fully traceable through the supply chain
- Does not tackle whether plastic should be used at all
- The end product will still need traditional disposal unless designed otherwise
- Compared to the usual market rates, 'Social plastic' is more expensive
Making a difference
Since 2013 Plastic Bank has recovered and recycled over 10 Million KG of ocean bound plastic and improved the lives of over 4200 families living in poverty.