Take items to a Repair Cafe
Part of the solution to reducing ocean plastic is to reduce the disposable attitude we have towards our items. Repair Cafés are free meeting places and they’re all about repairing things (together). Cafes have tools, materials and expert volunteers, with repair skills in all kinds of fields.
Globally, the world produces over 390 million tonnes of plastic per year, the equivalent weight of all humans on earth.Source
- Save money by repairing, rather than throwing away and buying new
- Brings the community together
- Utilises skills already in the community
- If there isn't one near you, you might need to set it up!
- Repairs can be limited to the skills you have join the cafe
Making a difference
There are over 1.500 repair cafés worldwide. One repair cafe in Sydney has helped repair items for more than 800 people and diverted 97 tonnes of waste from landfill.