Launch a robot to capture plastic from the ocean
WWF and Sky Ocean Rescue have launched an autonomous marine robot in north Devon to help clear Ilfracombe harbour of waste. The WasteShark® will be roaming through distances of up to 5km of water, capturing plastics, microplastics, oils and other pollutants.
Every year, over 8 million tons of plastic makes its way into our oceans.Source
- The WasteShark is pre-programmed with GPS points to ensure that it covers hotspots where waste gathers
- It also collects data on water quality
- It emits no carbon, produces no noise or light pollution, and poses no threat to wildlife.
- Limited storage space for waste collected
- Only captures waste floating on the surface of the ocean
Making a difference
If used five days a week the WasteShark can collect in excess of 15 tonnes of waste a year, with the plastic recycled to make products.