Host a plastic-free festival
As a festival or event organiser you should be first asking yourself, ‘what can we decide not to use?'. Whether it's through deposit return schemes for cups, refill stations, and using compostable materials, as an organiser you can influence your vendors as well as your event goers to make the festival as sustainable as possible.
In 2017, in 2017, visitors used 1.3m plastic bottles at the Glastonbury festival.Source
- Encourages change within a sector and new 'business as usual'
- Reduces single-use waste from one-off events
- Potentially educates a different audience on plastic pollution
- Requires a lot of research and planning, especially around the alternative waste management
- Involves asking any outside vendors to also comply
- Can require behaviour change from festival goers
Making a difference
In 2019, Glastonbury banned the sale of single-use plastic and set up 850 refill points across the entire festival.