Build a microplastics trawl
Collecting microplastics in your local environment can be a really valuable way to engage and educate people in how prolific microplastics are in our local waters. 5 Gyres ambassador Dr. Max Liberion has produced an open-source guide to building a low budget, high impact trawl using common items.
There are 5.25 trillion pieces of ocean plastic debris. Of that mass, 269,000 tons float on the surface.Source
- Easy to follow build guide
- Cheaper than paying for a trawl to be built
- Does not require specialist materials or skills to build or use
- There is also an online guide on how to analyse your microplastics
- Not suitable for collecting samples for use in large-scale studies as not up to current scientific standard, but great for building local engagement and understanding
- Needs some materials and investment in time to get started
Making a difference
5 Gyres have run 19 of their own citizen science expeditions.