Use natural water-based dyes
Starlite now uses a custom engineered water-based dye and resin swirl optic to remove the use of polyurethane paint, which is a liquid plastic coating. This helps minimise the harmful toxics found in paint from being released into the oceans through paint chips.
In a study analysing microplastic samples in South Korea, scientists found that 81% of the polymers originated from paints and the fiber-reinforced plastic (FRP) matrix used on ships.Source
- Using natural dyes limits the impact of toxic contact throughout the supply chain
- Eliminates the risk of plastic and toxic transfer into the environment
- Less durable and doesn't last as long as synthetic paints
- Natural dyes are more expensive
- Require larger quantities to create the same depth in colour
Making a difference
Starlite's custom engineered water-based dye and resin swirl optic eliminates the need to use paint and reduces paint chips.