Tackle plastic in construction
The Alliance for Sustainable Building Products (ASBP) Group brings together stakeholders from across the construction value chain to learn collaboratively and address plastics in construction issues, in products and packaging. The group doesn’t advocate a completely ‘plastic-free’ built environment, instead recognising that plastics have useful applications but have become overused.
An estimated 50 tonnes of plastic packaging waste are being generated by the construction industry each year in the UK.Source
- Can develop robust plastic alternatives
- Provides space for sharing knowledge and learning
- Builds understanding around where plastic is used and can be reduced
- Can explore how it is managed end of life and how this can be improved.
- Limited data in construction industry in terms of types of plastic, how much is used and what happens to it end of life
- Difficult to manage single-use plastic once it is on construction sites
- Challenging to reduce in supply chains
Making a difference
By creating this Group we can start to tackle the plastic products and single use plastics used in construction; the second largest consumer.