Sew Your Own Reusable Face Mask
Help to contribute to less single-use personal protective equipment (PPE) waste by making your own facemask. Though it has been essential in reducing coronavirus cases, COVID has also led to the increase in disposable plastic waste in the form of face masks ending up in landfill and in the environment.
In the UK alone, 2.3 billion items of PPE were distributed to the health and social care services between February and July, with one NHS trust using 39 500 masks and 11 495 gloves each day.Source
- Replaces single-use virgin plastic face masks
- Can be rewashed and reused multiple times
- Cheaper over time than buying disposable
- Customised and made to fit
- Different materials vary in their effectiveness of filtering particles
- Requires sewing skills
- Time consuming
Making a difference
Along with reducing infection risks, wearing reusable face masks also helps reduce single-use PPE waste and cuts down on the amount that ends up in the natural environment.