Replace packaging with technology
Cosmetics and personal care company Lush has introduced an app that you can use on their packaging-free products to identify what they are and what's in them, without the need for packaging!
32% of the 78 million tons of plastic packaging produced annually is left to flow into our oceans.Source
- Removes the need for printed ingredients lists and labels
- Can be used in store and at home
- Can also include other information, such as digital product demos
- Requires a smartphone
- Companies would need to encourage customer behaviour change and consider their demographic
- Cost of app development
- Cost of redesigning products to be packaging free
Making a difference
Lush opened their first "Naked" store in the UK in 2019, along with two other plastic-free stores in Milan and Berlin.