Replace balloons with bunting and banners
No balloons are eco-friendly or biodegradable and they pose a huge risk to marine life. Latex balloons do biodegrade eventually, but in the years and years it takes them to degrade, they have a whole lot of time to do damage. There are many eco friendly alternatives to balloons when it comes to decor – many of which make a party look even better!
A recent study showed that birds who swallowed balloon fragments were 32 times more likely to die than birds that had only eaten hard plastics.Source
- Reduces risk of balloon fragments and strings getting into the environment
- Many alternative forms of decor like banners can be reused over and over again
- You can get creative with your DIY and turn decorating into a family activity
- Requires more time to make
- Need storage space to keep all the decoration, or give-away after the event
- Can be more expensive depending on what you choose
Making a difference
So far over 70 UK councils have banned balloon releases.