Recycle single-use plastic
By choosing to recycle plastic, you are taking a durable material and potentially giving it a second life.
The EPA estimates that 75% of the American waste stream is recyclable, but we only recycle about 30% of it!Source
- Gives plastic a longer life
- If replacing virgin plastic, it has a lower carbon footprint
- Diverts plastic from landfill or incineration
- Relies on local waste management systems and rules can vary
- Some types of plastic are easier to recycle than others
- Plastic can only be recycled a certain number of times before it needs to disposed of
- Does not encourage a reduction in plastic use
Making a difference
The EU set a target for all member states to increase their recyling rates to at least 50% by the end of 2020.