Introduce taxes for companies creating plastic waste
Taxes can be implemented for producers on the amount or type of waste produced to incentivise waste reduction and Extended Producer Responsibility.
Plastic consumption has increased since the 1950s and is expected to double to over 600 million tonnes per year by the year 2038.Source
- Encourages companies to rethink their material use and waste production
- Internalises the cost of damage and pollution caused by companies
- Helps raise revenue for public spending to develop solutions
- Difficult and slow to implement because challenges 'business as usual'
- Complicated to calculate the true cost of waste and pollution and, therefore, tax appropriately
- Does not address consumer behaviour
Making a difference
The UK plans to introduce plastics tax for packaging by April 2022.