Help track large marine debris from space
The AI Moonshot Challenge is a global competition developed in partnership with the European Space Agency to detect, locate and monitor maritime waste on a planetary scale.
There are an estimated 250,000 metric tons of plastic floating on the surface of the oceanSource
- Participants are supplied with AI tools and supercomputing resources
- Winners receive a prize of 500K to continue to conduct research for two years
- Participants are also asked to submit solutions
- Open to individuals and teams around the world
- The project is based in Portugal, so if you win you'd have to move there to carry out the further research!
Making a difference
The challenge aims to combine massive sources of data from a range of different sensors, and spectral wavelengths, including Earth Observation Data, to identify maritime waste along the water column.